As a website owner, it is imperative that we keep our websites running safely and efficiently as well as provide a good user experience. This is no easy task, but today I’m going to walk you through the steps to make sure that you’re doing what you need to do without making you crazy!
MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING
Before making any changes you should always make a backup of your site. While you’re at it this is a great time to check how things are set up and that they are running correctly. Answer questions about where your backups are delivered to.
I use Dropbox for this, but you can have them sent to any number of places. Google Drive, One Drive, AWS, Delivered to your email, etc.
Also, you want to see how many copies are being stored. If you don’t have a limit set you could be filling up your storage which in the end costs more money. I keep two copies at all times and then set it to delete any others.
THEN FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS TO CLEAN UP YOUR SITE
- UPDATE ALL PLUGINS & THEMES
- DELETE ANY INACTIVE OR UNNEEDED PLUGINS
- DELETE YOUR CACHE OR OPTIMIZE YOUR DATABASE. I use OPTIMIZE DATABASE BY DELETING REVISION PLUGIN or a caching plugin that is compatible with your theme.
- RUN A SCAN FOR MALWARE
- RUN A TEST FOR GT METRIX. This will give you a report of how your site is running. Check the speed and the overall grade.
THIS IS A GREAT TIME TO FRESHEN YOUR SITE UP & TAKE AN AUDIT
- DO YOUR OPT-IN BUTTONS WORK?
- DO YOUR SOCIAL FOLLOW BUTTONS WORK?
- ARE THERE ANY WIDGET AREAS THAT NEED TO BE REFRESHED?
- DO YOU WANT TO MAKE CHANGES TO YOUR WEBSITE?
NOW IT’S TIME TO AUDIT YOUR CONTENT
Go to your stats. Whether you use JetPacks or Google analytics either one will work.
- Find the top 10 posts of 2021 and make a list.
- Find the least read posts of 2021 and make a list.
- Go through these posts and refresh what you can. Add new images, change some wording.
- Find ways to improve your SEO. I’ve got a great SEO planner and it’s totally FREE!
- Go over your most popular posts and come up with content for 2022. How can you turn last year’s content into this year’s greatest blog posts?
IF YOU WANT TO DELETE BLOG POSTS IN BULK FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS
- Go to WordPress and log in to your account.
- Click “Posts,” then click “Edit.”
- Click the category containing the posts you want to delete, then check the posts you want to delete.
- Click the “Bulk Actions” drop-down menu and click “Delete.”
Are you ready for big things in 2022? If you’ve been wanting to up your email marketing game with MailChimp you’re in luck!
Stay tuned for next week’s big announcement and an opportunity to build your email marketing strategy from beginning to end together!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
- Easy Tips That Have A Big Impact On Your SEO - January 24, 2022
- Why Auditing Your Website Could Be One Of The Best Things To Do In 2022 - January 16, 2022
- Are You Ready To Grow Your Email Marketing Strategy In 2022 - January 9, 2022